This page may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
What Needs to be Organic- according to Sassy Holistics
When I first dove into the world of natural health, it was absolutely overwhelming. At times it is still overwhelming! Possibly even more so when years past and you realize that not enough people are even aware of the “why” behind jumping into the natural health bandwagon. Everywhere you look you can see that people are NOT healthy, and you’d think they’d wonder why we’re all so sick these days.
Anyway- I wanted to put together a (hopefully easy) guide on the things I would *try* to find organic when it comes to food, household products, etc. There are definitely non-negotiable for me- if I can’t find these specifically then I don’t bother getting it.
Foods- Either these foods are on the dirty dozen or there are GMO versions of these foods that have been released
- Beef (grass-fed), chicken, and eggs (free range is best)
- Dairy products (grass-fed is best, raw is the absolute best but can be expensive/hard to find/illegal in some states, ugh)
- Grains- oatmeal, wheat, etc (yes, we eat these in our house! We just look for the best quality that we can)
- kale and spinach
- You can read the full Dirty Dozen/Clean 15 here, but the above is pretty much the worst of the worst and I do my best to always buy organic!
Tea and Coffee
Look for organic, but also look for unbleached or untreated tea bags. Traditional Medicinals is one of the best brands out there for tea and they offer a LOT of different types of teas. Alvita is another brand I’ve found to be clean. Buying herbs in bulk is also an option- Frontier and Mountain Rose Herbs are among the top brands out there.
Coffee is a tricky one because we’re now aware that many coffees actually are at risk for mold and mycotoxin contamination. I would recommend researching the brands you currently use and look for info about mold testing. Some brands that are definitely clean are Kicking Horse (Kick-ass is my favorite blend and one of the extra safe ones!), Bulletproof (can be pricey though), and… well right now those are the only 2 I know of but if I find more, I’ll update it here 🙂
Herbs and Supplements
Not all herbal products and supplements are created equally. Many have nasty fillers or are just poor quality in general. The main companies I trust for herbal products are BioRay, Herb Pharm, Frontier, Mountain Rose Herbs, Herbalist & Alchemist, The best brands for supplements are Perfect Supplements, Pure Radiance, Grown by Nature, and the rest of my list is here (as well as the reasons why I don’t recommend a few of the most popular brands out there)
The average woman puts on about 515 different synthetic chemicals daily – and most of that is just in the morning! There are about 82,000 known chemicals used in everyday household items, and most of them have never been tested for safety. These chemicals are cancer causing, hormone disrupting (especially causing infertility), and skin irritants. The skin is the largest organ in our bodies and using these harsh products on our skin daily is truly wreaking havoc for our health.
The most important things to switch out first would be (and why to switch them):
- deodorant (aluminum, parabens- and we put this right over a very sensitive spot where there are a ton of lymph nodes!)
- makeup (parabens, heavy metals, carcinogens- we put this right on our face, one of the most sensitive parts of the body)
- dish soap (parabens, fake colors, and “fragrance” which could be anything)
- Sunscreen (carcinogens, parabens, and honestly, the sun isn’t our enemy!)
- I have all of my main ideas on switching out household products out right here.
Take a look on the Skin Deep Guide on the Environmental Working Group’s website to see how your favorite products rank. They have about 60,000 products listed!