This page may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
The BEST Natural Remedies for Constipation Relief
Constipation is probably one of the most common issues that people deal with but because of the embarrassment that surrounds poo talk, no one ever likes to mention it. Well, I am going to break the wall and hopefully help some people out with ideas so you don’t have to ask about it!
Constipation is not good for your well-being at all! Being blocked up is not only uncomfortable, but it is not good for our health either. We need to eliminate toxins- when we can’t then some of them can recirculate and be re-absorbed. Yuck! Some sources say that we should ideally be “going” after each meal. An average of 2-3 times a day is perfect. Despite what doctors might say it is NOT normal to not go every day.
Slow oxidizers tend to suffer with constipation more than anyone due to the deficiencies of stomach acid and bile. Improving oxidation rate helps immensely with healing chronic constipation. But let’s talk about all of the best natural remedies for constipation out there to help in the meantime!
The BEST Constipation Remedies
- Magnesium– Magnesium is probably one of the most important nutrients that helps us “go”. Considering it is one of the most common deficiencies, it is no wonder why so many people are suffering with constipation. Try a night magnesium oil foot bath with some baking soda added for more absorption, or spray mag oil right on your belly to get it to where it needs to go.
- Potassium– Potassium is in the same group as magnesium: it’s an electrolyte and it helps with hydration. We need minerals to help stay hydrated, not just plain water. Nearly every HTMA I see has a tanked potassium level- it’s hard to get, we need lots of it, and we can burn through it with stress or detox. Check out my whole article on potassium for food sources and more info!
- Fiber- I think most of us know the benefits of fiber! Fiber has the ability to bind with parasites, yeast, heavy metals, and most other toxins in order to flush them from the body.
- Get the bile flowing! Constipation is a huge indicator that you are lacking good bile flow. Read my main tips here. My favorite bile boosters are dandelion root tea, bitter herbs, and castor oil packs (which can be done over the liver or colon!).
- Salt water Sole- Again, hydration is HUGE when it comes to being regular. Salt water sole is a great way to get some extra hydration instead of drinking just plain water which can be dehydrating.
- Molasses- Blackstrap molasses is PACKED with nutrients, especially magnesium and potassium. It is an old wives’ remedy for constipation, but it truly helps those that need the extra help. I love to add some blackstrap molasses to dandelion tea to get an extra boost to the liver and colon.
- Castor oil packs– These are generally to help out the liver, but you can actually use the packs over the colon. This can help to stimulate the colon and softens impacted stool as the body absorbs the oil.
- Exercise– Something simple like a brisk walk or about ten minutes on a re-bounder can help to literally get things moving!
- Aloe Vera– Aloe is absolutely amazing for many different reasons. It helps to heal the gut, helps constipation, and it also can balance blood sugar. I’m partial to George’s Aloe because it is distilled and has no taste!
- Get a Squatty Potty! We tend to sit in a VERY uncomfortable position when we “go”. The Squatty Potty can help to make things a lot more comfortable. Edited 10/16 to add: I just got one of these (Target carries them now!) and I cannot recommend it enough. It has made an immediate difference, and it feels so much more natural.
- Coconut oil (or MCT oil!)
- Probiotics– Having an imbalanced gut flora is another huge root cause of constipation. If you’ve been on antibiotics before in your life, it is very possible that you suffer from a lack of beneficial gut flora. Adding more fermented foods in your diet is the best way to get a varied amount of good bacteria.
- To mix 2 of these suggestions together: The Psyllium Husk Fiber and Blackstrap molasses “cleanse” is incredibly effective at getting the colon moving. It really helps to clean up any build up in the colon too!
Original Psyllium and blackstrap molasses cleanse: 1 Teaspoon each of blackstrap molasses and psyllium fiber in 8 ounces of warm water. Immediately follow with another 8 ounce glass of water. Try this once or twice a day at first, and then you can increase the psyllium to 1 whole tablespoon as time goes on. My favorite way to use psyllium (because the original was not happening for me, taste-wise!) for effective colon cleansing includes this recipe, taken once or twice a day: 4-6 ounces of plain or vanilla organic kefir, 1 Tablespoon of psyllium husks, and 1-2 Teaspoons of blackstrap molasses. This mix can be very helpful for getting things movin’.
- And of course, PRUNES! Need I say more on that?
The Root Causes of Constipation
Chronic constipation doesn’t just happen for no reason. The most common reasons why people struggle with a sluggish colon are:
- Mineral Imbalances (especially when calcium, magnesium, sodium, and potassium are imbalanced)
- Sluggish lymph system
- Too many toxins for the body to eliminate
- Slow oxidation (most people are slow oxidizers so this really is a HUGE cause)
- Low stomach acid and poor digestive fire
- Emotional trauma (we can literally old onto old gunk in the colon because of emotional reasons!)
- Not enough movement- if you sit at a desk all day this can be a big contributor to poor circulation overall
- Not enough fiber in the diet
Ready to solve the root cause of your constipation? Start with HTMA: