This page may contain affiliate links. Read our disclosure here.
Changing Your Mindset with Holistic Health
It’s been almost 10 years since my life changed and I was thrown into the holistic health world. Because I was truly thrown into it with a few huge chaotic events, I was forced to realize a few huge truths in a very short period of time. One big truth is that holistic health is NOT conventional health- there are many big differences. Working on changing your mindset with holistic health is ESSENTIAL for healing so you understand these truths.
I’ve been a holistic health practitioner for quite some time now and I am just used to the way that holistic health is. However, I understand that for those just getting into this side of healing need some time to adjust and shift. I wanted to make this post to go over some of the biggest misconceptions, myths, or issues that people face when it comes to making the switch to natural wellness.
Holistic Health is NOT Conventional Medicine
This is the BIGGEST truth that we really need to understand when switching from conventional to natural health. Holistic health and conventional medicine are completely different. I personally can’t even say it’s conventional “health” because the system is not about health. It is just about managing illness with pills, surgery, and more. It is dis-empowering and it does not help to create better health.
Holistic health encourages us to:
- learn how to heal the body as a whole
- to use food, herbs, and other natural items to support the body’s natural healing process
- listen to our own innate intuition and be more in tune with our bodies
- trust our bodies to do what is needed when it comes to healing as we cannot control symptoms
- slow down! Real healing takes time, and we have to slow down to rest more and allow our bodies to heal
- learn how trauma and stress influences our overall health and wellness (physical, mental, emotional)
- learn how to support the body during acute illness so that we can heal without suppressing the illness and driving it deeper within
- research, ask questions, and educate ourselves on everything that we were never taught before- how the body actually works, how everything is connected, and how we really heal
- understand that in order to heal we need to eliminate toxins that are stored, which can create uncomfortable symptoms at times (which is why going slow with healing is so crucial- to avoid the most discomfort)
Conventional medicine is more about:
- Using pills to match with a diagnosis or symptom
- Controlling symptoms with pills forever
- Blaming outside issues (like viruses, foods, etc) instead of imbalances in the body (aka terrain vs germ theory)
- Not understanding how food, nutrition, trauma, and toxins impact our mental and physical health
- Pushing through illness by taking medications to suppress symptoms
- Creating a victim mindset- being told that you have a chronic illness and will never get over it makes one feel like a victim and encourages you to feel hopeless, depressed, and stressed. You have to depend on your doctors to “help” you- nothing you do matters.
Why Is Everyone SO Sick?
It’s estimated that at least 50% of all Americans have at least one chronic illness (this is the CDC reporting this too!), and about 43% of children have a chronic illness (source). WHY IS THIS NORMALIZED? Truly! Ask yourself why this is ok? It is time for a huge paradigm shift. This doesn’t mean just switching from pharma drugs to natural items to match with symptoms or diagnoses either which is unfortunately what most people do.
It is tempting to just look for an herb or nutrient to manage your symptoms, but this is not what real health is all about. You have to address your body as a whole. After nearly 100 years of poor quality food, pharma products, bad nutritional advice, and more it’s time to go back to common sense and real health. I made a post about this a few years ago too with a big list of reasons why we’re all struggling so much now.
Yes, some nutrients and herbs can be associated with certain health issues. However, one big thing I have noticed in my years as a health practitioner is this: you can have 10 people with the same diagnosis and they all can have different nutritional imbalances and root causes. There is no such thing as ONE root cause for anything.
Shifting Mindset from Illnesses to Individuals
Biochemical individuality is a very important concept to understand. Biochemical individuality is essentially a concept that the nutritional and chemical makeup of a person is unique. Because of this, nutritional needs will vary from person to person. You can read even more about this here.
This is what we focus on here at Sassy Holistics. YOU are an individual. You have had a unique life experience. Your current lifestyle and your lifestyle as a child shape your current state of health. Trauma, stress, toxins, foods, mindset- all of these play a role into your own individuality.
Hair mineral analysis is one of the best tests to determine your biochemical individuality. We use HTMA to determine gut health, detox ability, how well you are using nutrients, how stressed your adrenals and thyroid are, and so much more. We make our plans based on what YOU need at the time of testing. Our plans include recommendations for food to help with nutritional imbalances, herbs for gut, liver, and adrenal health, and other holistic methods like mineral baths, castor packs, and dry skin brushing. We do not match a pill to the ill. Nor do we try to treat your diagnosis. Our goal is to give you the tools you need to support your body’s natural health process so that everything can heal.
Holistic health is completely different than what you are likely used to. It can definitely take time to shift from a “pill for an ill” mindset to a “REAL healing” mindset.