Did you know that heartburn is almost always due to LOW stomach acid, not high? Conventional health has us believing that heartburn, acid reflux, and GERD are all incurable illnesses that require massive diet change, medications, and sleeping on an incline. But these things are only meant to manage symptoms, not actually heal or solve anything.
For a majority of people, heartburn happens because we are lacking enough stomach acid. Food sits in the stomach longer and it starts fermenting, and this creates inflammation and the “juices” can create irritation. This mix of slowly fermenting food in the gut is what creates the heartburn! The longer this goes on, the more at risk we are of developing a hiatal hernia as well.
Why are we so low in stomach acid?
As we age, our stomach acid levels naturally decline. However, we are noticing that even children have this problem with low stomach acid! A Standard American Lifestyle that is full of processed food, packaged “food-like” items, artificial ingredients and toxic chemicals, it’s no wonder why we are lacking in stomach acid. These items wreak havoc on our digestive system.
Having low stomach acid makes it difficult to digest protein- not being able to digest protein creates an issue with cortisol and blood sugar regulation, which creates stress on the adrenals. This in turn makes our mineral deficiencies worse since we need stomach acid to assimilate nutrients. We also need some minerals to make stomach acid! So it’s easy to get into this cycle of malnourishment.
The BEST Natural Healers for Heartburn
These are the BEST healers out there for heartburn. You don’t necessarily need all of them, but I do recommend picking at least 2 of them. I personally used ACV and Aloe Vera to heal my own digestive issues- and this experience is what got me into natural health since they worked so well. The first day I took ACV I could eat normally for the first time in 6 months! Within a month of doing these, I no longer had any gut pain.
- Apple cider vinegar is one of the easiest and most popular ways to help heal heartburn. In fact, it was the main helper for myself when I healed from GERD! Most people dilute 1-2 Tablespoons of ACV in 4-8 ounces of water about 15 minutes before meals. This helps prep your stomach for incoming food, and it will help with digesting your food better immediately. If you can’t stand ACV on its own, try making switchel!
- Bitter Herbs stimulate the production of stomach acid, digestive enzymes, AND bile flow! We have bitter taste buds on our tongues for a reason- we are meant to use bitter foods to aid our digestive processes. Current diets tend to lack that bitter taste. We love Herb Pharm Better Bitters sprays. Super easy to use- just spray your tongue 4 times before each meal. That’s it!
- Collagen or Bone Broth are both popular options for soothing gut inflammation, which is common with heartburn. They are both amazing, so it really just depends on what is easiest for you. Collagen can be added easily to drinks, soups, or other foods as its tasteless. Bone broth can be time consuming, but it’s an easy way to make a base for soups.
- Aloe Vera is one of my FAVORITES for overall gut healing. It helps with soothing gut inflammation, healing the gut lining, and it can help with histamine/mast cell issues. I love George’s brand Aloe– dosing depends on age, but most adults can use 2 ounces twice a day for the best benefit. I used George’s myself when I healed my GERD and acid reflux.
- Marshmallow root powder is usually ideal for healing and sealing the gut lining and reducing inflammation in the gut. Powder is best over capsules for this purpose as well, and this brand is great.