We’ve been saying for the last year or so that what our main services include is basic foundational care. But what does that mean to us? It can have any number of meanings for people, and to many it might just seem like a confusing term, especially for those just getting into the natural health world.
To me, foundational care means rebuilding our bodies from scratch.
We have to undo the damage that has been done over the years and lay a new foundation for further healing. Before deep, long lasting healing can happen, there has to be several main points that are addressed.
Whether you are dealing with heavy metals, Lyme, Candida, EBV, or just any sort of chronic illness, you cannot ignore the main bases of our health. We work on cleaning up diet, balancing minerals, healing your gut, working on detox pathways, supporting your adrenals (and HPA axis), cleaning up your environment, and healing emotional trauma.
I know what you are thinking- that is a LOT. But those are going to be the absolute biggest and most important factors to address before you can gain headway in healing. Plus, they are also the most important changes to make for long term healing– meaning that you want your healing to be deep so you can hold onto your health longer without being dependent on dozens of supplements a day. You do not have to tackle them all at once either- baby steps is always the best way to start a new healing plan.
Our goal with our HTMA program is determine the most important first steps for you as an individual so you can start with your own personal foundational care plan. We did not get sick overnight, and and in many cases we are undoing generations of nutritional and emotional issues so it will take time to heal. Patience, faith, dedication, determination, and trust are all essential on this journey to better health.
Our Main Tips on Foundational Care:
- Clean up your diet– Get rid of the junk! Processed foods, soda, coffee (at least switch over to organic, low-mold brands if you don’t want to give it up completely), and refined carbs. Not everything has to be organic, but I really encourage everyone to just do their best. Meats, dairy, and any grains that are consumed are best organic. This post outlines a bit of what I think is most important to get organic and why.
- Assess your Minerals– Minerals are at the absolute base of our foundation- without them, we cannot function. As you get your minerals balanced, it will be easier for your body to handle pathogens, heavy metals, or other underlying issues as well. A copper imbalance is one of the MOST important aspects to address when there is any kind of infection. Bioavailable copper helps with keeping viruses, bacteria, fungi, and parasites under control.
- Heal your gut– Without sufficient stomach acid and bile flow, we cannot utilize our nutrients. If our gut isn’t functioning, then our whole body can pay the price. This is just another huge reason why we need to respect our bodies as wholes- everything is connected.
- Work on your detox pathways– Liver, Lymph, Colon, Kidneys, Skin- we try to assess the most important things to start with once we see a person’s HTMA. Sometimes we need more adrenal healing before even thinking about detox support.
- Start supporting your adrenals– Again, I love HTMA as it can tell us the exact state of your adrenals. This is one of the most important parts of foundational care. If your adrenals are stressed out or completely exhausted then there should be more of a focus on healing them first before even thinking about detoxing anything.
- Clean up your environment– This can be a rough one because there is only so much that we can control. Just do your best in your home! Deodorant, makeup, shampoo, toothpaste, dish soap, etc are just some examples of things that tend to be big offenders for toxins that can mess with our liver function, and they can have very negative impacts on our endocrine function. Learn more here!
- Work on emotional trauma- This is something I have had to learn the hard way myself. Emotional trauma from past abuse is something that can stick with us until we’re ready to deal with it. This can become a constant stress on the body which can suppress the immune system. If the immune system is suppressed, it will be impossible to heal from any chronic infection, period. Things like homeopathy, acupuncture, EMDR, Reiki, and EFT are among the most popular methods to use to start healing from emotional trauma. My big list of ideas is here.