Where did my brain go?! Why Brain Fog is so common these days so what we can do about it?
Brain fog! Ugh. I hate it. (Yes I know we shouldn’t say “hate” but if I had to pick the worst symptom I’ve ever dealt with, brain fog is definitely at the top of the list). There are sooo many reasons why we deal with brain fog so I’m just going to go over the most common reasons, especially according to what I’ve observed in my own clientele through the last few years.
“Adrenal fatigue” is a trendy term these days. In reality, the adrenals are a part of the HPA axis so we should be saying “HPA axis dysfunction”. You can read my entire post on this here for the full story. Basically, this really IS something that many people are dealing with these days. It’s much more complex than just taking a supplement though- it involves many nutrients and many systems of the body to heal. This is why we have a whole body approach here at Sassy Holistics– nothing is ever in isolation in the body! When it comes to brain fog, it can be a symptom of adrenal issues because the body is so stressed just trying to function and we lose a lot of physical and mental energy overall.
Chronic infections are on the rise. People are starting to realize that their decades of chronic illness have been caused by infections such as Lyme, EBV, or even parasites. During the last Lyme Summit that was done, one of the speakers mentioned that having a chronic infection has the same effect on the body as constantly running a marathon- there is NO rest until you can start working on calming things down. So this takes a toll on the body itself and can cause an increase in brain fog. Also, the toxins that these infections can emit (especially when dying off) can make this issue so much worse.
It’s often said that the gut is the second brain. Our gut is usually the biggest thing to put a focus on when you are starting on your healing journey. Most people are dealing with low stomach acid, poor nutrient utilization, a leaky gut lining, sometimes even gut inflammation, and an imbalance in gut bacteria. There are many aspects to gut healing and they are all crucial to keep in mind.
When we think “detox” we really need to stop thinking of those 3 day cleanses at the health food store. We are always in a constant state of detox, and a lot of energy goes into proper detoxification. If we are overloaded with toxins, we cannot get them out, period! They can recirculated in the body and the brain is often a victim when this is going on. Work on liver, lymph, kidneys, gut, colon, and skin as a whole detox focus- they are ALL important.
I feel like this one is a no-brainer (haha, pun intended! Not funny? OK sorry 😉 ). No sleep= no overall energy. Sleep can be messed up because of any of the above issues. Healing these issues can help to get sleep back on the right track. Here is my main post on fixing circadian rhythm, and my post on 25+ sleep crutches.
How to heal brain fog naturally
We are huge proponents for biochemical individuality. Everyone is different so there is not “one” supplement that will help with one specific symptom, even if they are advertised for that symptom/health issue. These are some of the main things we have seen that has helped with people to get their brain function back though!
- Belly Mend (or Cytoflora)- this is one of our favorite gut healers, but it does have a pretty amazing effect on healing that gut/brain connection.
- MCT Oil– We all know about how amazing coconut oil is, but MCT oil tends to be easier to utilize and can have a pretty quick effect on physcial and mental energy levels. I LOVE Perfect Supplements’ MCT oil– 100% organic (and sustainable) coconut MCT oil (they let us use the SASSY code for 10% off your whole order too!!). Fats are essential for brain health, and MCT oil is one the best ways to get some easy to utilize fats.
- Gut Healing–what more can I say on this one? We need our gut to be working in order to heal from anything, so this is often the best first step to consider.
- Working on Infections- this is definitely a complex statement because there is no one approach to these infections. It depends on the pathogen, the strength of your whole body, your budget, etc. Lots of variables. This is my main post on how I would approach an infection (and it is what I am currently doing to address the underlying infections I have found). Binders can be a huge helper too, especially if you are throwing something like mold exposure into the mix. Activated charcoal, Cellcore’s Bioxtoxin Binder, and this Takesumi are among the most helpful binders out there.
- HTMA– We try to tailor our plans to your personal needs as much as we can. As the whole body heals, all symptoms can start to heal. Brain fog tends to get better as adrenal strength improves and as detoxification ability is restored.