Liver Healing vs. Liver Detox
Most of my followers know that I am a huge Liver Lover! I can never stress the importance of the liver enough. It has about 500 functions in the body, and it takes a beating in our toxic world. You can read more about liver health here, but we’re going to go over some important points in this post: what the liver is for and why we need to love and support it- not flush and force it to “cleanse”.
The liver plays a role in:
- hormonal balancing
- blood sugar regulation
- heart health
- weight management
- cholesterol regulation
- detoxification (of toxic chemicals, heavy metals, pathogens, etc)
- digestion (of fats and protein)
- utilization of fat soluble nutrients like vitamins A and D
- keeping copper and iron balanced
- thyroid and adrenal health
- immune health
Why we need Liver Loving, not Flushing or Cleansing
The Liver itself doesn’t get dirty- it doesn’t need to be flushed or cleansed. It can get sluggish and it can start getting an extra storage of fat, iron, and copper but it doesn’t store toxins. When the liver gets sluggish, it stores toxins in FAT which is why there is such a huge link between being overweight and having liver issues.
This is one of the main reasons why I am not a huge fan of liver flushes, cleanses, or anything that will stress the liver out and force it to detox. Our goal should be to provide supporting herbs, foods, and practices to help gently stimulate the liver to heal. Obviously we all have to make our own choices, but I am not a fan of things like liver/gallbladder flushes, chelation, or fasting- these methods can be very harsh on the body, especially if you are dealing with adrenal dysfunction. Forcing the body to heal when it doesn’t have the strength is counter-productive. Gently nourishing the whole body is the key for sustainable healing.
How to Properly Love your Liver
One of the main liver lovers that I recommend to nearly all of my clients is BioRay Liver Life. I have seen miraculous results with this particular herbal blend. The herbs that are used help with the liver, kidneys, lymph, adrenals, and immune system so you get a huge whole-body healing effect from this one supplement. You can read my full post about Liver Life here. Or you can check it out on BioRay’s site, where you can also see many of their other awesome products that I often recommend (and now you can get 10% off your order with the code SASSY at checkout!). You can also read about 10 of the most common detox myths here!
According to this source, the tests done with Liver Life “reveal improvements in high liver enzymes, food sensitivities, fatty acid metabolism, pH balance, nutrient absorption and microbial imbalances.” Not only that, but liver function can improve liver function by 50% in only 15 days. Liver Life supports both phases of liver detox, can improve histamine intolerance, and can help heal food sensitivities over time.
The Liver Life itself can be used for kids as the dose is based on weight, but BioRay has a specific formula just for kids called CALM. You can read more about the kids’ line here.
Other Liver Loving Ideas
- Herbal infusions like nettles, oatstraw and red raspberry leaf. Infusions are extremely nourishing to the body, and most of them help with liver, lymph, kidneys, and the adrenals.
- Sunflower Lecithin: This form of lecithin is rich in phosphatidyl choline, which is a B complex vitamin that has extremely important roles in fat metabolism and liver health. It helps with stimulating bile flow and can help flush fat out of the liver, and it is also extremely important for brain health.
- Castor oil packs (read about castor oil packs here!)
- Dandelion root decoctions or tea
- garlic, turmeric, ginger, cayenne
- Bitter herbs
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.*