My Top 10 Tips on Sustainable Weight Loss
Two of the most common resolutions you’ll hear from people in the New Year are to lose weight and eat better. Most people stick to their strict diets and go to the gym regularly for a few weeks but it never tends to last. I think that this is the year that we STOP with this craziness. For decades the typical advice for weight loss has been, “Eat low fat, low calorie, exercise at least an hour a day, drink a gallon of water, and only then will you lose weight”. But this is not right!
Cutting calories just cuts nutrients and energy. Calories are units of energy! When you cut calories, eat low fat, and exercise yourself to exhaustion you are just creating an extremely stressful situation for your body.
So what are my main tips for sustainable weight loss?
- Sleep:Sleep is one of the most important things that helps with weight loss. Wait, what?! How is complete inactivity going to help me lose weight? Most people view sleep as something that we just have to do to survive. A lot of people either choose to avoid sleep or they have issues with insomnia because of underlying issues. This is a bad idea! We need sleep in order to probably recover from the days activities. During sleep, our livers and lymph system are working hard to detoxify and clear the body of excess toxins as well as regenerate damaged tissue. Toxins get stored in fat- if we can’t detox, then we can pack on the pounds pretty quickly!There have been studies done on insomniacs and they have determined that those that get poor sleep have imbalances with the hormones leptin and ghrelin, both of which are important to help manage appetite. People who can’t or won’t sleep tend to overeat during the day because of this issue with these hormones.How can we get better sleep? Check out my posts on Sleep Crutches and Insomnia.
- Liver Health:The Liver is one of the most important yet overlooked aspects to weight. The The liver has over 500 functions! We can function with as little as 1/6th of our livers- this is why it can take years, even decades, before we even notice any apparent liver dysfunction. Part of the liver’s job is to filter out toxins and convert them into less toxic substances so they can be excreted. However, when the liver gets bombarded by toxins, and coupled with a poor diet, it cannot do its job correctly. This seems to be the reason for this obesity epidemic, especially when coupled with a SAD lifestyle. Toxins get stored in fat when the liver cannot handle the constant influx of toxins. All of these things factor into illness!My favorite remedies include: Bone broth, gelatin, Apple cider vinegar, aloe vera, ginger, apples, Milk thistle, dandelion root decoctions or tea, garlic, turmeric, coffee enemas and Castor oil packs (read about castor oil packs here!). Or you can even try the amazing BioRay Liver life tincture! Whey protein is also an amazing helper for the liver since it helps the body create more glutathione.
- Get your bile Flowing!
Bile is one of the MOST crucial things to focus on to help optimize weight loss. Bile is key for utilizing fat soluble nutrients, helping to assimilate fats and proteins, and it is essential for detoxing since it helps to excrete some heavy metals, parasites, yeast, and other toxins. You can read my whole post on bile flow here. My favorite bile boosters are: dandelion root decoctions or tea, Gaia Herbs “Sweetish” Bitters ., Sunflower Lecithin, and Castor oil packs. If you do not have your gallbladder anymore, it is even more crucial to focus on bile boosting as you can no longer store bile.
- Heal your Gut:
Focusing on Gut Health is an absolute must to lose weight, and to heal from any chronic illness. we need sufficient stomach acid and bile to digest a lot of our nutrients and to take care of nasty things like bacteria and parasites. Our gut is our second brain too so when it is imbalanced, we cannot achieve perfect health. Don’t forget about your colon too! We can literally hold onto old gunk, and it’s crucial to get that out.
- Balance your Minerals
Use hair tissue mineral analysis to determine metabolism, mineral status, and possible heavy metal toxicity. We need to be in balance in order to detox properly!
- Embrace Fat!
We need fat to be healthy. Stop fearing it! The key to getting the most benefit out of fats is to love your liver and boost bile flow (which I talk about above). Fat is essentail for brain health, reproductive health, adrenals and thyroid health, immune system health, and also for eyes, skin and nails. Read my post on fats so you know what good fats to go for!
- Maximize your protein metabolism:
Most people are slow oxidizers, which means that their metabolism is slow. Making sure that you are getting enough protein (and that you are digesting it properly) can help so much with getting the metabolism back into balance. Many people are also suffering with protein deficiencies because they lack the stomach acid to digest and utilize protein properly. Perfect Supplements Collagen is one of my favorite protein boosters because it has high bio-availability, it is a great quality, and it is so easy to add to anything.
- Don’t forget your lymph system too!
Dry skin brushing, rebounding, yoga, walks, and even castor oil packs can be helpful to keep the lymph moving. Regular massages and staying hydrated are huge helps too.
- Focus on a whole foods, nutrient dense diet:
Fruits, vegetables; full fat foods like butter, ghee, and coconut oil; organic/grass-fed whole milk dairy products; fermented foods; eggs; grass-fed meat; beef liver every so often if you can handle it! Check out Pinterest for great ideas on meals and snacks or my post on the “Ideal Diet”. Make sure you are getting enough fiber too, as it is another essential (yet overlooked) weight loss helper. Herbal infusions are amazing for extra nutrients, and chickweed especially is good for weight loss as it can actually break down fat cells.
- And finally, exercise:
We know that movement is important for our health, but there has to be a balance. Over-exercising can be detrimental to our health because of its ability to chronically raise cortisol levels, which leads to weight GAIN! You can read about that in my post about exercising when you have no energy.So shoot for easy and fun workouts:
- Walking in nature
- Yoga or light stretching
- Any sport that you enjoy playing
- Zumba or just plain dancing
- Infrared heat-read more about how far infrared can help with increasing circulation and flushing fat cells. This option is great for those that really just cannot tolerate much exercise at first.
*Remember that it is possible to gain weight while starting out on a nutritional balancing program. As you start to fix deficiencies and heal your liver, the weight will come back off- this time for good! Just make sure that you are supporting your liver, and especially doing things to help with bile flow.
What do you swear by for long-lasting weight loss? Let’s talk in the comments!