I’ve noticed quite a huge similarity between people that end up in the natural healing world, and I thought it would be interesting to map out the typical path one takes to finally learn about nutritional balancing. So many of us have gotten here through a LOT of trial and error.
The Stages of Healing
- Be perfectly “fine” (for the most part) for years
- Start to notice a few minor symptoms like fatigue and heartburn. So you go to your doctor. They give you some pills and send you on your merry way.
- Pills help a little, but then more symptoms pop up. Back to the doc. They either switch your prescriptions, or they start referring you to other doctors.
- You end up trying 10-15 medications, or you end up seeing 10-15 specialists (or both), without ever getting a solid answer on what is going on. You trust that the experts know what they are doing (which in all honesty, they are- they’ve been taught to diagnose and prescribe, so that is what they do. It’s not their fault- it’s the pharmaceutical companies that design their curriculum. There ARE great docs out there; they just are not taught how to truly heal people)
- You spend months, years, or decades playing musical doctors without ever actually feeling better.
- Something snaps one day! You either start hearing from friends about other methods of healing, or you reach what you feel is rock bottom and realizing that something has to change.
- You figure out how to stop your meds (**Because some do require proper weaning! Please do your research on this- it can be dangerous to just suddenly stop some medications without supervision or guidance.**)
- You start looking up natural remedies for all of your ailments, and you are able to get rid of a majority of your symptoms- but something still seems to be missing.
- You take supplements based on just symptoms, which leads you into mega dosing of some supplements like zinc, iron, vitamin D and synthetic vitamin C.
- Something is still not right! I’m doing all of these natural remedies, so what is going wrong?!
- You finally stumble upon the idea of biochemical individuality. You learn about personalized testing for nutritional deficiencies and imbalances, and you find a plan that fits YOU based on your needs, and not just symptoms.
- Slowly you regain your full health back (because healing on a cellular level takes time, patience, and dedication).
- You become an advocate for natural healthcare, nutritional balancing, and whole-foods nutrition! You teach your family about how to be your own advocate when it comes to health and try to prevent others from going through what you went through.