Acne is an extremely common and yet extremely annoying issue that most people have dealt with at some point in their life. We tend to associate acne with teenagers and puberty, but in reality many adults suffer from this annoyance. Since we tend to focus on outward appearances too much, there are countless creams, masks and face washes available to “cure” acne. In reality, acne is a sign of several internal imbalances and it can take some work to get rid of the issue for good.
What causes acne?
- Nutritional Deficiencies
- Clogged skin from lotions and make-up
- Stress! What doesn’t stress cause?
- Liver congestion
- Poor diet- excess sugar, processed foods, table salt
My Biggest Tips for Helping Eradicate Acne
- Heal your Liver! We need strong livers to detoxify our bodies from excess hormones, heavy metals, parasites, and yeast. With a sluggish liver, our bodies can create all sorts of symptoms and acne is the most common one. Read how to love your livers!
- Fix deficiencies! Nutrients like vitamin A, potassium, zinc, and vitamin C are extremely important for skin health, wound healing and inflammation. Cod liver oil can be an easy vitamin A source and is very helpful for hormonal balancing.
- Eat a good diet. Stay away from MSG, food coloring, added hormones that can be found in conventional meat and dairy, and excess sugars. Adding more good fats to your diet can help as well- cod liver oil with Omega 3s, fish, avocado, grass fed butter, and coconut oil. Read all about the “Ideal” Diet here.
- Stay Hydrated! Water is important for our health, but the right kind of water is just as important. There are many different kinds of waters- bottled spring, filtered tap, reverse osmosis. There is too much info out there to really pick a perfect water source. We all have to do what our budgets allow. My main recommendation is usually to go with something like a Berkey filter and use salt water sole to help add minerals back to the water. Read more here for my tops on proper hydration.
- Heal your gut! Helping stomach acid and bile production as well as repopulating the gut with good bacteria is essential to heal from anything. How to heal leaky gut.
- Try a face mask with bentonite clay. This is something that can help almost immediately, especially with blackheads. It’s not a long term solution but it helps while you are doing the long-term solutions mentioned above. Try this recipe for the mask!
- Try Poofy Organics Zippy Zit Care line! They have several products to help while you are healing from the underlying cause.
Have any favorite acne remedies? Let me know in the comments!