Cholesterol- Friend, not Foe
For decades we’ve been lied to about so many different things when it comes to nutrition and food. For years, people have been told that fat and cholesterol are bad, and you need to eat low fat and use margarine. (Which is INSANE- where was the common sense in that? Stop eating foods that people have been eating for thousands of years, but here, have a tub of man-made goo that was made in a lab, it’s healthier!)
Cholesterol is a vital nutrient, and it is not the devil that it has been made out to be. Finally over the last few years, “experts” are coming out and saying that they’ve lied- things like butter are truly a health food. Of course, not everyone has seen that TIME cover where butter was vindicated, so many people are still believing the low-fat myth, and suffering for it. Most of our cholesterol is made IN our bodies- diet rarely has a real effect on our cholesterol levels.
Why Do we Need Cholesterol?
- ALL of the hormones that run the adrenals need cholesterol to be made. The lie that cholesterol is bad for us is a primary reason why we are all so deficient in hormones. We need cholesterol to create pregnelone, which in turn can be used to make the rest of the hormones like estrogen, cortisol, progesterone, and aldosterone. If you want to see a chart that explains this, check it out here.
- We need cholesterol to make bile! Bile helps us digest and assimilate fats, it helps alkalize the intestines, and helps us absorb fat soluble nutrients. In a healthy person, bile is made in the liver with no issue. Read my post on bile here.
- We actually need cholesterol to utilize vitamin D. Say what?? You mean we can’t just take a pill labeled Vitamin D and have ALL of our health issues solved?? Nope!
- Cholesterol actually acts as an antioxidant in the body and helps protect from free radical damage, and actually can prevent cancer!
- We need cholesterol for gut health, especially the intestines
- Cholesterol feeds the brain- it is used by serotonin receptors. Serotonin is our “feel good” neurotransmitter, and low levels are associated with depression, suicidal tendencies, and aggression
- Breast milk is rich in cholesterol for a reason- it is VITAL for proper function of the brain, immune system, and nervous system. Think of how many people lost out on this amazing start to life because formula companies thought they could duplicate liquid gold.
- Our bodies use cholesterol to repair internal wounds, even in the arteries! This is one of the biggest reasons why people end up with high cholesterol- it is trying to help heal internal inflammation.
Cholesterol is our Friend- BUT:
We need excellent liver function to create and utilize cholesterol. If you have high or low cholesterol levels and your doc is pushing stains, try to heal your liver first before allowing yourself to be poisoned by those useless pharma drugs. About 3/4 of our cholesterol is made in the liver. Our livers have about 500 different jobs to do, so when they are not functioning at top speed, then it cannot properly do everything it needs to. We can function with only 1/6th of our livers- this is why any apparent liver related symptoms can take decades to develop.
Some of my favorite liver remedies include:
There is also a HUGE link between copper deficiency and high cholesterol. Copper is an incredibly important nutrient for the liver in general and plays a part in preventing fatty liver disease because of its role in lipid metabolism. You can read all about that in this study here– it’s very long and a great read to help us understand how important copper really is. We just need to balance it correctly!
So PLEASE! Stop believing the ridiculous lies about nutrition that have been around for decades. Fat and cholesterol are essential to health. Vitamin A as retinol is NOT TOXIC. Ascorbic acid is NOT vitamin C.
Especially remember that nearly all illnesses are reversible!