Food Based Nutrition: Learn to look for the right foods!
FOOD BASED NUTRITION
My recommendations for getting as many nutrients from your FOOD! Food can be powerful: “Let food be thy medicine.” -Hippocrates
- Iodine: seaweed, scallops, cod, yogurt, kelp, dulse
- Sulfur: garlic, onions, cabbage, kale, eggs, bone broth
- Trace minerals: seaweed, stinging nettles infusions, kale, parsley, unrefined sea salt
- Vitamin B6: stabilized rice bran, nutritional yeast, royal jelly, beef liver
- B-12: beef liver, nutritional yeast, beef, eggs
- Potassium: orange juice, coconut water, sweet potatoes, blackstrap molasses, beet greens, dandelion greens or dandelion root tea,
- Calcium: dark leafy greens, broccoli, dairy, herbal infusions
- Boron: apples, pears, grapes, prunes, apricots, dates, nettle infusions, honey, borax
- Sodium and chloride: unrefined sea salt
- Zinc: oysters, beef and lamb, wheat germ; pumpkin seeds
- Omega-3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA): wild caught cold water fish like salmon, sardines, tuna, caviar, grass-fed beef, lamb, free range poultry; cod liver oil, fish oil
- Selenium: Brazil nuts, blackstrap molasses
- Vitamin C: citrus fruits, peppers, kiwi, papaya, pineapple; whole food vitamin C supplements like Pure Radiance and Garden of Life; camu camu, acerola cherry, amla berry
- Vitamin A (retinol): liver, cod liver oil, eggs, grass-fed butter
- Beta Carotene: peppers, carrots, sweet potatoes, green leafy vegetables
- Magnesium rich foods: pumpkin seeds, raw, hulless; dark chocolate; unsweetened cocoa; seaweed; most nuts and seeds; dulse, kelp; and magnesium chloride for baths and topical use (I find this to be more effective than oral magnesium for most people)
- Lithium: mustard, kelp, sardines, blue corn, pistachio nuts, and cooked vegetables
- Read more here for a further breakdown on some awesome nutrient dense foods!
More Ideas for Food Based Healing:
*Superfoods, herbs, and spices: chia seeds, stinging nettles, beef liver, eggs, turmeric, ginger, garlic, kale, swiss chard, spinach, almonds, avocados, coconut oil, whey protein, broccoli, cabbage, cacao, and bone broth!
*Do not limit your good fat and REAL salt intake! Grass –fed meats, butter, eggs, coconut oil, yogurt; Himalayan Pink Salt, Redmond’s Real Salt, Celtic Salt
*Many have success with low carb or Paleo-type diets. I believe in balance but it is up to your personal preferences to what you want your diet to be. My major recommendations are these:
*Use fresh, whole foods, preferably organic, locally grown, seasonal food for meals and snacks. Read my main guidelines here.
*Avoid preservatives, added hormones, and artificial colors, dyes, and chemicals, especially artificial sweeteners.
*Don’t neglect fiber! Fiber (along with bile flow) helps immensely with the detoxing of toxins. Lots of awesome veggies, fruits like apples and kiwis, unrefined whole grains (if tolerated), and even supplements like psyllium husk and Alive! brand fiber are good. You can read all about the amazing relationship between bile and fiber here!
*Try to prepare snacks to have on hand so they are ready and available
*Try to get your nutrition from mostly food. Slowly add in more of the foods above and cut down on the “junk”. The only supplements I really can see being helpful in the long run are desiccated beef liver, Whole food Vitamin C, cod liver oil, and adrenal support supplements.
HERBS FOR ADRENAL HEALTH:
Nettle Infusions-Drinking 2-4 cups daily for at least 6 weeks is an easy way to deliver nutrients to the body. Nettles nourish the adrenals, liver and kidneys. Nettles are also perfect for pregnant and nursing woman suffering from adrenal fatigue because they are used for boosting milk supply and anemia. Many herbalists say that nettle infusions are better than multivitamins. The infusions are full of B vitamins, iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium, sulfur, boron, and trace minerals. To make infusions: Steep one ounce (one cup) of dried nettles in a quart of hot water for at least 4 hours- leaving it overnight is perfect. Strain the herbs and store the liquid in the fridge. Some reuse the herbs to make another quart or 2. Mason jars are perfect for making these infusions.
Eleuthero / Siberian ginseng
The above 5 herbs are usually seen in many adrenal health formulations. Many have success with them. There are capsules, tinctures, powders. Ashwagandha by itself can be very successful for adrenal health, especially with anxiety and insomnia. Licorice root is also another possible option for people with low cortisol but only used for short periods of time. Read more about adrenal health here., including my main herbal recommendations for adrenal support.