BPA (or Bisphenol A) is an extremely common component of plastic that can have some pretty devastating effects on health. It is primarily known as an endocrine disruptor because of how it can mess with hormones in both males and females because it can mimic the effects of estrogen in the body.
We’re exposed to BPA mostly from our food and water. Any food or water that is stored in plastic has the potential to leach BPA from the plastic, which we then ingest. If our livers and digestive systems are compromised, then this BPA has a big chance of building up and getting stored in fat tissue until it can be dealt with.
Some of the main health concerns with BPA are:
- Developmental toxicity for fetuses, infants and children
- BPA has possible effects on the brain, behavior, the prostate gland, mammary glands, and can cause early puberty in females
- Birth defects are also a possibility, although it is a very rare adverse reaction (source)
- Mimics estrogen which leads to hormonal imbalances
- Increased risk of obesity
- Decreased immune function
- Read about more risks here!
How to Limit BPA exposure:
- Don’t microwave food in plastic (or for further health benefits, ditch the microwave altoghether!)
- Look for BPA free cans and containers (glass or stainless steel are better!)
- Stay away from plastics with the numbers 3 and 7 in their recycle sign
- Switch the bottled waters for a home filter. Certain filters can get rid of BPA as well as many other contaminants.
- Cut down on your consumption of processed foods since they are usually stored/wrapped in plastic
- Look for toys that are BPA free too. It is hard to completely avoid plastic, but cutting down your children’s exposure helps.
- Keep your detoxification system working optimally. Liver, lymph, kidneys and colon are all important!
- Many of the BioRay tinctures can help with eliminating BPA from the body as well.